Nuestros Pequeños Hermanos

jueves, 2 de agosto de 2012

Trabajar: To Work

A natural question in the midst of this grand adventure, some of you may be wondering what exactly I am doing. My exact job is working in the school as a tutor for 5th and 6th graders in Math and Spanish. If you know me you should be laughing... En serio, I am going to be helping kids with Spanish (and math) which believe it or not I am just above slightly qualified.

I received a classroom that once in a while is used for speech therapy, though that has yet to happen, where I can tutor and have my own (highly decorated, per Honduran norm) work space. I just finished my first week working with kids solo, and would pay anything to hear myself with Spanish ears; I wonder how awful it is....

I foresee a potential for much gratification throughout the year. Though the students can be frustrating I can't tell you how wonderful they can be. I also work in the same area where the little "chiquitas" go to school. Where else in the world would a little girl, like five year old darling come run and jump into my arms all giggles and smiles. Where else could I give her a kiss on the cheek and tote her, laughter and all, into her next class saying: ¡Hola prof.¡ Tango una guapa estudiante para la clase de música. Which in gringo Spanish roughly translates to: Hey teach, I've got a cute little student here for class.

Sometime I look at the sky or the laughing eyes of Darling (the aforementioned 5 tear old) and think to myself, this is Honduras.... this is my life. The one God chose for me. The one I claimed for myself. A veces me parece (sometimes it seems to me) I am living the stuff that dreams are made on.

 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario